Friday, January 22, 2010

Eugene, Oregon A Bicycle City InMotion

I must apologize for not posting to Recumbent Cycling for the past 6 weeks. I had my left knee replaced and it took a real toll on me. My knee is improving as is my mental outlook. It is still snowy and cold in Ohio but I am ever optimistic and looking forward to spring and hitting the fantastic Ohio/Erie Tow Path again with my bike.

Eugene is truly a bike friendly city. In fact they are so bike friendly their local city government has staff they have dedicated solely to promoting cycling and walking.

They lobby the state and federal government for more cycling and walking trails and secure grants to improve their own trails. This is a city that has taken the lead and become the model for many cities across the nation.

I grew up in the Eugene area and have spent hundreds of wonderful hours cycling the miles and miles of fabulous trails. I must admit I moved away 20 plus years ago to be closer to my wife’s family. We both miss the area and intend on moving back in the next 5 years.

I plan on riding off into the sunset on Eugene’s many cycling trails.

Here is a recent newsletter insert from InMotion, Eugene’s bicycle and walking communication vehicle.

InMotion – Mid-January 2010

Don’t forget the Eugene Walking and Biking Summit this SATURDAY, January 23rd at Sheldon Community Center.

Come Celebrate walking and biking in Eugene with a fun-filled morning of speakers, activities, good food and fun. Off the Waffle’s Liege waffles will be served for breakfast with delicious Full City coffee. We will recap 2009 and look for ways to improve in the future. We will celebrate our new “Gold” status as a Bicycle Friendly City. There is a little something for everyone at this year’s Summit so come and enjoy!
For more information please see www.eugene-or.gov/walkbike or call Lindsay Selser at 541-682-5094.
Note: You can subscribe to InMotion newsletter by going to the above link. Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment